Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

Post by Chris1234 »

"Yes to all of those," answers Jerry. "So, enough here. Shopping for garlic and the like and then I'm off to seek a lair. Anyone confident enough to partake can come too."
Revenant
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Revenant »

Esker Manyblades

The tomcat nods to Iscind as he re-enters the inn. For once he is silent, listening to the conversation transpire. So Del had knowledge of fighting such creatures. For this he was glad since his knowledge was limited to fighting the Draugr and that itself was limited. "I have no knowledge of these...vampires...," trying to wrap his mouth around this new beast's name. "But if it leaves tracks, Iscind and I can follow them. And if it bleeds, we can draw blood from it."
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

It's pretty hurt too, Gregor notes. Maybe it will flee if it thinks it might die. Gregor screams out in elven, Hit it with the lightning bolt! We'll be ok!
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Making herself a Target, Mira prepares to trap the creature with a web, from her position in the bushes she should be able to anchor one side as it advances towards her.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
tarlyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by tarlyn »

"I'm not confident in anything concering a Vampire but if we get teh right kind of supplies, you never know... I'm in.

Del nods and waits for the others to reply.
"Killing means never having to say you're sorry"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

tarlyn wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:20 pm [Would Del be able to use her MOther's syumbol in some way then? ]
[OOC] If she has faith in the power of Ellistrae, yes. She would still need to make a Cha roll.[/OOC]

The Broken Wheel: (Cross, Iscind, Karl, Elsa, Del, Esker, Jerry and Merrick)
Listening to the conversation, the pretty halfling chimes in. Well I can bless one normal weapon, maybe that would be best for you, Esker or Iscind? she offers. I know Sir Kar'ls weapon is magical, and I give temporary magical properties to a trio of sling-stones which makes them work like magic weapons for one shot each. That would probably be good for Pyros when he gets back. She looks to Jerry to confirm that will work. I can also create a blade of pure flame, so there is that. And of course we have several magic users as well... with good prep, maybe we stand a chance! Elsa says, sounding somewhat upbeat. But.. about the holy wafers... I don't travel with that kind of thing... I'm not sure any priest usually does. Could we... just stake it and leave it out in the street until sunrise?

There is only one church in town that I know of... um... Merrick begins. I went there not long ago... Maybe they have some wafers? But it will take some convincing to get enough I think...

Give me a stake... I want my face to be the last that... thing sees... Airand. Azais shakes her head, speaking softly to his hear, I can't lose you too... please... but the young man makes no sign to indicate he even hears her.

[OOC: So, on the shopping list so far: Garlic, stakes (can easily buy poles and take a short while to fashion stakes): both these items will be easy to procure and we can just do a cost, no need to rp that part. For the Holy wafers, we will probably need a visit to the local chapel and some convincing. And for the tracking, we can keep that part 'live'.

How does the party want to go about tracking? There is a recent known location where the killer was... the street... Jerry's ability to read cues and determine an area affected by the undead isn't terribly precise. at most she might be able to hone in on a section of town and identify the type of places one might be, but beyond that there is some legwork[/ooc]

The old Shacks: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)

Drawing upon his training, Gregor manages to roll out of his stumble and makes haste away from the creature. Pyros as well begins to retreat, to the furious snarls of the creature. Mira begins to sing a melodic mnemonic as she draws upon the strands of magic, and flicks a tiny ball of webbing at the vicious creature. The tiny ball springs open into a massive network of webbing that reaches between the bushes on either side of the trail, ensnaring the creature! With a loud howl of frustration the beast begins to arduously rise, despite the sticky webbing!!! It glares pure murder at the Kender and begins to tear its way through the obstacle.

[Actions R3? No normal physical missile fire can strike a creature encased in the webbing. Something like a spell might depending on the description.]
=====
Retroactive for R1:

Gregor attempts to roll out of his falling prone with a Tumble (16) check:
[1d20] = 10, pass! Gregor rolls out of the fall!
Gregor moves 40 feet from the creature.

R2:
Pyros: (3+ move then 11 Hoopak) = 14
Mira: (2+2 Web) = 4
Wolf-Man Violinist: (1+3 natl attk) = 4
Gregor: (8) = 8

[Normally I don't parse movement and attack initiative (i.e. move on your die roll, attack on the total modifier) because people don't move in before they can attack; but in this case it was relevant to Pyros' potential survival since he was moving away so it has been separated out]

Pyros moves South 15 feet (half his movement) and prepares to attack with his hoopak!
The Wolf-man is prone and cannot take an opportunity attack.

Mira casts Web around the Wolf-Man in an area that crosses East/West between the bushes and trees!
Wolf-Man MR, Save [1d100]=50, [1d20]=7
Magic Resistance, Failed!
Save vs Spell, Failed!
The Wolf-man is snared in webs!

The Wolf-man, due to his Great Strength, is able to stand (half movement) and move 1 foot south, towards Pyros. The wolf man is now 4 feet from the edge of the web...

Gregor holds

Pyros fires an Iron sling bullet from his Hoopak, but the webs prevent the shot from penetrating to his target
[Missile fire is generally ineffective against targets trapped in the webs]
Seeing his shot ineffective he holds.

[map incoming]
Attachments
Screenshot_20231209_233552_Dungeon Sketch.jpg
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Wow... Something has him riled up!" Wiping some blood off his face. "Maybe we should be heading out."

Pyros will dash down the path, withered leg and all.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Pyros. He's not going to take long.. the web just slowed him down so I can think." She turns to Gregor. "We need to move, ambush him." She comments as she begins to run. "With me. Now!"

As soon.as they are out of sight of the creature (I figure they have a few rounds) she will make Gregor invisible, "Find a spot to wait." She'll look for something to block the path, something just to slow it down so it stops for a brief moment.

"Pyros, hide, get your stones ready, hit it when it stops, then Gregor attacks from behind " that done she waits.

(Her plan is that get as far away as she can, and make Gregor invisible so he can backstab the creature, it's the only way she can stop it..she has no magic left!)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry nods back to Elsa to confirm that the Magic Stones spell would work. "Yes, we could stake it. But just leaving it is a bad idea. Any thrawl or servant could remove the stake and thereby remove the paralysis. Taking it outside some time just before dawn would probably be best. Right, who can take me to the local chapel? Any of you interested in this veture that has money may be able to purchase holy water therein."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Mira can see there is not much along the trail that can block the creature. Perhaps one of the old shacks nearby can be used to hide in, with the door blocked. The shacks are such that the door won't hold for long]
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

As Mira casts her web encasing the beast, Gregor asks the group, Does it burn?
tarlyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by tarlyn »

Del listens and adds.

"Id still like ot buy some oil and torches if we have no fire power to harm it this is still a pretty good idea. CAn we really wait

until sunrise to kill it? I'm not sure about that. Can't a Vampire escape in some weird way if it gets cornered or too badly beaten?" Sorry

but I like preparation not just flying dead or blind into somthing,"
and she chuckles.

Quickly checking her backpack she grins, pointing to the oil flasks and torches!

"Well now I don't need to shop for that, now do I! I'll accompany anyone to the CHurch or Temple here."
Last edited by tarlyn on Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Killing means never having to say you're sorry"
Darithe
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Darithe »

Iscind

The small blonde woman rises, hand on the hilt of her sheathed longsword, "Tis a kind offer of enchantment Elsa, but I have no need of it. My blade is named Munnin's Talon, for one of the All-Father's ravens and it is magical. It was forged by Frode Moonscar and tempered with the blood of our enemies so it is honed to cut my foes deeper than most. Though perhaps Esker has need of your blessings." She glances to her shield-brother.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

OOC: Ok, so a couple questions before I completely make up my mind.
The taunt is still in effect? The wolf-man is being loud not trying to be stealthy in the least?
You mentioned a hut that may not hold for long.
=====================================================================================

Pyros will grab Mira by the hand, dash to the hut, close the door. He will then want to see if he can somehow escape out a window/space in a wall/floor, to be on the opposite side of the hut as the wolf-man.
As they go into the hut.

"Three little piggies, in the shack made of sticks! You couldn't get us by the hair on my chinny chin chin!"

====================================================================================
OOC: The idea is to make him think Pyros is in the hut, which should then give him an opportunity to shoot him, hopefully with added bonus in the back.
That could also give Mira some time to cast the invisibility.

I could see him run in, then Dukes of Hazard jump out a window, hide around a corner, then whammo bullets in the back lol.
Last edited by Nocturno on Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

[OOC] Would Mira know if we will get a free round of attacks as the beastman exits the webs?

Not hearing a response to his question, Gregor begins to root around around in backpack eventually retrieving a flask of oil. If Mira is still within range he will hand it to her. Light him up when he's about to get free. The web will burn him more.