Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

Post by TristenC »

The Temple: (Del, Elsa, Jerry, Merrick)
Merrick leads the way, Jerry beside him, as Esa and Del bring up the rear. I'm really interested to see this. There hasn't been much mention of the gods here, she says in common, for privacy from the locals. To be honest, the presence of my own goddess Yondalla seems... muted... like speaking to someone far away or trying to talk to them through a thick blanket.

Merrick leads the group a short walk along the road from the inn into the large square in the middle of Upper Skald. He turns south down a side street half-way across the square. The street is short, with only 3 or 4 shops on either side before it dead-ends into a modest light grey-stone structure; atypical construction amongst the plaster and beam nearly everywhere else. The domed roof is stone as well, rather than the thatch or red tile of other buildings.

The wide door is thick and strapped with iron. Merrick opens it and leads the others inside. A short walkway 10 ft wide leads to the large circular inner chamber. The domed ceiling is plain but well lit with small lanters that cast light up to the pale stone which reflects it down in a soft ambient glow. The stone of the floor is entirely made of wide, well-fitted stones of red jasper. Inlaid in the stones is a brightly polished seven-pointed star of iron, the tips of which reach the edges of the 30 ft diameter chamber. At the end of each point a small alcove has been located with a plinth for offerings and a symbol carved into the back wall of the alcove. The seven symbols are (clockwise from the back): Sun, Rose in bloom, Scroll, Moon, Raven, Mirror, Balance scales.

Small braizers stand here and there where votive incense can be placed. A pair of grey-robed attendants keep things in order. At this hour only a handfull of locals are present.

The Broken Wheel: (Cross, Esker, Iscind, Karl)
As the others head off for the Temple, Elsa happily agrees to bless Esker's weapon when the time comes. Cross looks between the two rangers and speaks in common so the local's won't understand. Well... since we know where the last attack was, should we begin investigating while the others are about their tasks?

[Ooc] How does Karl want to go about assessing Airand's abilities?[/ooc]

The old Shacks: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)
The spreads quickly through the webbing, engulfing the wolf-man in roaring flames as he plows powerfully through the sticky bindings. The creature manages to reach the edge and free himself; the stink of burning fur and flesh thick in the air. Mira hurls the oil at the horrifying sight, but her aim is off and the oil merely splashes his leg, adding to the already extensive burns.

Gregor circles around to try to stab the beast from behind, but the proximity of the burning webs causes him to flinch at the critical instant and the point misses the mark. Farther down the trail, Pyros winds up his hoopak and wings an iron shot that strikes the wolfish foe across the temple. The beast staggers, clearly dazed by the blow, until the second shot crashes into the center of his brow with a sickening Crack!

Life leaves the golden eyes as the beast falls backwards to the ground... The burned body morphs and shrinks to that of a human, hardly recognizable among all the burns. Violet eyes now stare blankly at the sky from the bartender Ledalar's face...

[Combat Ends]
====
R4:
Wolf-Man Violinist: (1 move) = 1
Mira: (2+2 Bottle) = 4
Gregor: (8+3 ss) = 11
Pyros: (3+11 hoopak) = 14

The webs begin to burn!
The Wolf-man is trapped in the webs and burns for [2d4] = 7 damage! Wolf-man web burns [2d4]=7

The wolf-man moves 2 feet south to the edge of the webs and is free! (but out of movement)

Mira hurls the flask of oil (-3 improvised weapon) at the Wolf-man who is in a blind rage (+2)!
Thac0 18 (untrained) vs AC ?(-1)
[1d20] = 4, miss!
The flask breaks and the oil ignites! The wolf-man is caught by a splash-zone of burning oil
for [1d3] = 3 damage!
The Wolf-Man is Hurt Critically!

oil splash [1d3]=3

Gregor stabs with the iron short sword (-3 not proficient) at the Wolf-man who is in a blind rage (+2) from behind (+2)
Thac0 18 vs AC? (+1)
[1d20] = 12, miss!

Pyros fires an Iron sling bullet from his Hoopak at the Wolf-man who is in a blind rage (+2)
Thac0 15 vs AC? (+2)
[1d20]=14, Hit!
For [1d4+2]=3+2=5
The Wolf-man is About to Die!

Pyros fires an Iron sling bullet from his Hoopak, a second time, at the Wolf-man who is in a blind rage (+2)
Thac0 15 vs AC? (+2)
[1d20]=15, Hit!
For [1d4+2]=3+2=5
The Wolf-man DIES!

The webs finish burning away.
The brush is damp enough from the mist that the fire does not spread.

Combat Ends
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Oh thank Habbakuk." He then just sits down.
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

Gregor slides the iron short sword through the dead bartender's chest for good measure. My, weren't we feelin' a bit pissy, he snickers coarsely. Glancing around quickly to see if the commotion has gathered any onlookers, he draws the small weapon quickly over the corpse, cleaning it as best he can at the time and then returns the weapon with a small bow to Mira. Much obliged lass though my skill with it is poor. Drawing his own broad sword he pokes the corpse again testing its resistance to the fine steel blade. Is there anything we must do to finish off this beast? Burn or behead? Pull out its canines? Glancing over to Pyros, he quickly adds and we'd best get you back and looked at before anything else comes along. But first a quick look at where he was hiding ...
tarlyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by tarlyn »

Del follows along, listening to Merrick as she talks, Something tugged at her memory about Yondalla. Something her Mother or Father

may have talked about when she was younger.

[1d20]=6

Merrick, I think my Mom or Dad told me about Yondalla ,, she was the creator of the halfling race? What is her main focus?

Thinking about what Merrick said about her connection to her Goddess, makes Del wonder about something but is unsure about how to phrase it.

"So you say your connection is not strang, basically. Um, what if let's say that Yondalls is here," and she points to a spot in the

air.

"But we are all here..?" She points to another spot in the air.

"Am I making sense? I don't know a lot about travelling between different , well , places I guess? My Father travelled strange and

different places not anywhere near our home or even on our world but never spoke to me about if only to mention some

really strange things. If I were a Priest or Wizard, even a scholar I may have understood more."

When they get to the Temple, Del looks around but says nothing. She is hoping to perhpas purchase some Holy Water if possible.
"Killing means never having to say you're sorry"
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros will stand up, and take a peek in the dead fellows pockets.

"Waste not, want not."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"And this.." Mira sighs, "Is why we don't go around messing with the locals. Anyone could be.. something else." She takes the weapon, nodding at the body, she had a hunch that's who it was.. "He knew we'd come here, there is obviously something about these berries." She sighs again, knowing she'll have to change her drink now.. perhaps she could try white instead.?

"I have no idea what to do with him, we can't leave him exposed like this, someone is going to miss him." (Can she and Gregor pull him so he's hidden in the bushes?)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Yeah, that's right! Yondalla, the Provider. And yes, that's what I have been thinking these last few weeks as well. As quickly as we came here, I can't imagine how far we could be... but maybe it's not distance, but sort of... dimensional

The old Shacks: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)
As Mira and Gregor drag the body off into the bushes, Pyros goes through the burnt bartender's pockets and finds a little cash, a key, a pair of fine silver cuff-links, and a scrap of paper. On the paper is a list of names...

Gitane Rouge
'Jerry' (blonde)
Mer--k?
"Pyros' (kid)
Elsa (young)
Artanis (red beard)
Cross (elf. Raven)

====
8 gp, 4sp
silver cufflinks
room key
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Not the first kill list I've been on... Oh shiny."
Anything on the cufflinks?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Pyros examines the cuff-links, which look like they're platinum-chased silver, and probably worth a fair bit
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

Do the clothes disappear with 'em wit the change?, Gregor asks quietly as they haul the corpse into the brush and hide it. Seems more magic than wereing if'n so, he mutters with a questioning look on his face. Is there no way to tell 'em apart when they're not a beast? And no fiddle - how was it makin' those sounds? Glancing around furtively yet again, he adds without waiting for answers to his questions, Should we be goin' then? Doesn't seem wisest to stay at the scene.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Too bad he wasn't on any of our lists. Would like to have crossed his name off."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc] Oop, good point Gregor. That was a miss on my part. The rogues find his clothes and violin in the bushes when they drag the body over to hide it.[/ooc]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Having been rather deep in thought Jerry expounds in Common, "My Mistress Mystra, Goddess of the Faerunian weave, communes with her servants across the planes with, shall we say, volume decreasesing decreasesing as the planes are more removed. In this place, this world, it feels different: more effort, not merely 'distance', but as if 'listening' through a wall or, probably more accurately, a barrier."

"Merrick, what is the meaning behind, or associated with, each of those seven symbols?"
She points: (clockwise from the back): Sun, Rose in bloom, Scroll, Moon, Raven, Mirror, Balance Scales.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Well... from what I gather they seem to be tied, like many dieties are, to basic mortal needs or concepts. The Sun could be 'Hope', faith, light, etc. The Rose I think may be growth, prosperity, fertility and the like. Scales of Justice, Perhaps the moon is mystery? I should think the scroll would be knowledge, and perhaps the mirror is beauty or self reflection? And the raven... maybe... death? Or the cycle of nature? you know because carrion, while grizzly, are a necessary part of the ecosystem. I'm unclear on exact details, I don't make many trips here and I've only been in Kartakass a handfull of months. I'm sure there are gods on each of your worlds with similar portfolios?

The alcolytes tending the Temple take note of the newcomers. One approaches, a young blonde girl no more than 13 summers. She speaks to them in that musical language. Puis-je vous aider?

She wishes to know if she can help in some way. How should we do this? Merrick asks
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry asks in Harmonian," Do wall leg eat radiant puddle?" and then repeats so Merrick, "So did I get that right? We wish to procure holy water and wafers'."

======
OOC:
Harmonian 15% [1d100]=62