Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread I)

A group of 'Unlikely Heroes.'
Based in the world of Krynn.

Moderator: JadedDM

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread)

Post by Jenara »

"Kenderdon't really have an organization, everyone does what they please, its actually rather fun!"

She absentmindedly puts the stuff back, [ooc]You get that borrowing things isn't planned, its just what they do, personal possessions mean nothing to Kender.[/ooc]

"I have rope, and my Hoopak" She raises the long staff from the ground, the spearhead ebedded in the end visible.

"I knew this dwarf once, he had this HUGE Axe! It was really good..." She chats on, unaware that no one is listening..
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Besides a stable or corral for Dekker, Babushka needs a place to change. She then wants to entrust the saddlebags with her wares and spare possessions to Hilda.

[ooc]how does infravision work here? the PH says it's the DM's decision which system he uses. If it means "seeing infrared", Babushka will still need lamps or so because the cavern and tunnel walls all have roughly the same temperature...[/ooc]
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

After stabling Dekker and changing clothes at the inn, the gnome brought some of her extra possessions to the temple to ask the priestess, Hilda, to watch over them.

(OOC: I've always treated infravision as just like night vision. You can see in the dark, not actual heat sources.)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky has seen the temple, and she's seen the inn...

While Bab is sorting her gear, Locky takes a wander around the little town. Looking for something interesting....

(Never leave a Kender alone... lol)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

When Locky and Shay next see Babushka, she's barely recognizable, if it wasn't for her stature and nose: the skirts are replaced by cossack-style trousers tucked into the boots, the head scarf by a hooded shoulder cape that hides all of her white hair (braided and tied up). She is wearing studded leather armour and carries a backpack. The only visible weapon is her staff.

"OK then, are we ready to leave? I am now. Oh, and if I were you, I'd grease my boots, unless you want to get your feet wet from the very start. We'll be lucky if we never have to swim or dive in that cavern, if a river still runs through it."

[ooc: content of backpack: bedroll, tinderbox, 7 rations, water skin, 1 vial each of her ointments

edited on nov 29 to clarify armour and weaponry]
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Realizing she's been talking to thin air, Babushka sets out to look for her companions-to-be, especially Locky, who with her habit of "finding" things is more likely to get herself into trouble...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

[ooc]Gonna take a little 'flyer' here[/ooc]

Bab finds Locky in the 'store', she's actually been really good, ignoring the looks she is getting.

"Hello!" She waves at the newest member of her party...

If she was anyone else she'd be worried why this person so willingly joined her little adventure... However, the thought never crossed her mind...

"This place is rather boring" she whispers.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Yes, you're right" Babushka answers in a normal voice, so as not to arouse suspicion. "Let's go find Shay and then we'll be off."

If Locky follows her, she'll ask her about the hoopak. That might be an interesting weapon to master in the future...

[ooc: well, there's that big "G" on my character sheet... so letting you two into the caverns alone when I could be of serious help - after all, any gnome is likely to know more about tunnels and caves than the two of you together - and to leave the villagers exposed to the threat is not really an option. Also, Babushka is not living in Mt. Nevermind for a reason...]
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The small village was quite boring, particularly from a kender's perspective. It was a simple town with simple folk who just went about their daily chores each day with little to break up the monotony. The recent disappearances was probably the most interesting thing to happen to this town in ages.

Locky could only hope the cavern itself proved to be more interesting. Otherwise, she might get bored. And a bored kender would be a far worse fate for the town and its inhabitants to suffer through than any other nightmare that might be lurking deep below.

The two diminutive women sought out their taller, male companion, Shay. Examining the map they received from Hilda, they realized the cavern's entrance isn't far. Maybe an hour's travel on foot.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky smiles at Bab, rasising her Hoopak above her head.
"Shall we go to the caverns? They might be a little more interesting this."

"My hoopak is the best weapon ever! My Father gave me this when I came of age, he said it was an heirloom, he had it for at least a week! The others at the Temple said it wasn't good for a Cleric, but I love it,
Reminds me of home. Actually the first hoopaks were invented Years Ago...
She chats like this for ages till they find Shay.

[ooc]Check here

And yep, I'm ready, was just filling time in a typical Kender way[/ooc]

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Babushka, too, is ready to go to the caverns. On their way there, she'll use her tracking skills to see how well travelled the path is, and try to find out how long ago it has last been used, and by whom (humans/other races on foot, pack or riding animals, livestock). She'll also check (though more casually, not to delay them too much) if anything other than the wildlife of the area has crossed the path or if anyone travelling on it at first has left it.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2786267/
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As the trio left the village and started heading toward the cavern, the little gnome kept a close eye on for anything unusual along the way. There is no path to speak of, but there is evidence of human-sized creatures passing through or even heading directly to the cavern itself.

The most recent tracks lead directly to the cavern, but are clearly not human. Babushka has no idea what creature they belong to, she has never seen anything like them. The footprints have three clawed toes and appear bare (no footwear). They also seem rather deep, as if the creatures were extraordinarily heavy or perhaps were carrying something quite heavy.

After a little over an hour, they reach the cavern in question. The party finds a fissure in the limestone rock, where a fast-running stream plunges down to the dark caverns below.

==========

Babushka makes a Tracking check (1d20): 20. Success.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky smiles, and splashes her hand in the stream, feeling the water she pokes her head in the cave, just a touch

"Oh, that looks interesting, I wonder if I could slide down on something....?" She looks around, wishing someone had a shield...

Seeing Shay's face she shrugs and turns back, "So, we'e seen it, shall we go in?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Yes, of course we'll go in. That's what we came here for, after all. But I'd rather make sure we have a possibility to get back out, so I think we should fix a rope here to hold to when we go down - and perhaps up again. Have you noticed the footprints back there? There are big creatures in there, heavier than the three of us combined, and they have toes with claws that can tear us apart." She is trying to instill some respect in the kender, knowing that "caution" is not part of their vocabulary...

Babushka wants to take a look into the cavern, too. How strong is the current of the stream? Can she and Locky stand in the stream safely or would the current take them with it? Do they have to stand in the stream to go down, or is there some dry surface next to it where they might climb down? Can she stand by the side to look into the cavern? After adjusting to the dark, what can she see?

If the current is strong, Babushka won't set foot into it unsecured. She'll have the rope tied to a tree or rock and then hold to it while peeking into the cavern. If there's nothing like that, she'll ask Shay to hold the end of the rope while she takes a look (after all, she has the best infravision of the three).
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The stream is fast, but not very deep. It's only a couple of feet wide and probably around only a foot deep. Even the diminutive kender and gnome should be able to stand in it without being swept away. The stream descends into the cave, taking up the middle of the entrance tunnel. However, it is more than possible to walk on either side of the stream, not touching it.

Waiting for her eyes to adjust, Babushka sees that the tunnel down into the caverns extends beyond her infravision. From what she can see, however, there is no sign of any activity or apparent danger.