Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread IV)

A group of 'Unlikely Heroes.'
Based in the world of Krynn.

Moderator: JadedDM

Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread IV)

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrard steps forward just after Bab, sword drawn he reaches for a dagger and slices the blade through the membrane with his off hand.

"There is no Ulster here, unless... he drifts off, attempting to pull the membrane apart. "Please, be quiet, we will try to save you, but don't want to attract the creatures." He keeps his voice low and calm, motioning to Shay to check the next 'cage'.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jerrard's dagger scrapes across the fungus membrane, but doesn't even scratch it. He tugs and pulls at it, but it snaps back into place, refusing to tear or break.

Inside, the woman gasps and quiets down. "You...you're not podmen. You've come to free us? Did my father send you?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky nudges Shay keeping her Hoopak ready. "People? The Reverend Daughter did say people had gone missing.." She steps forward, her Clerical instincts cutting in.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Babushka lets the three others take care of the woman. She quickly walks over to the other end of the chamber, keeping watch at the tunnel to see if anyone or anything has been alerted by the woman's screams. She leans her staff against the tunnel wall and readies her sling once more. While keeping watch, she thinks about what might be used on the membranes if knives don't work.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Shay steps forward with Locky. "Who are you?" he asks.

"My name is Merithina. I'm a traveling merchant," she says. "I was heading toward Buho with my five guards, when we were ambushed by the podmen. Well, that's what Ulster calls them. He and I are the only ones left. They took Thuskar somewhere, he might not even be alive. And my other two guards...they put them into that machine in the middle of the room." Her voice chokes a bit. "I can still hear their screams when I sleep."

Shay turns his lantern toward the device in the center of the room. It looks just like the sluicer they found in the first level, but much larger--big enough to accommodate humans. "By all of the gods," Shay whispers.

Meanwhile, Babushka heads over to the northern tunnel to keep an eye out. The tunnel is only ten feet long and then opens into a small chamber. She can see inside easily enough from where she is standing. The room contains another ten hanging pods, and again only two are occupied. However, they are being tended to by eight fully awake podmen. It then occurs to her that if she can see them, they might see her if one looks her way.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Babushka runs back to her friends.

"There are eight podmen in the next room, plus two pods. They must be deaf, or they would have come running. The'yre busy right now tending their pods."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky looks at the Cage unsure what to do, "Merithina? My name is Locky, this is Shay, Jerrard, and most important this is Babuskha." Looking around she adds, "Where is Ulster, do you know?" She keeps her voice low realising the situation.

"We are here to find out what is going on, but right now, we are not strong enough to take on 8 Podmen. Do you understand? We have a safe camp, where we could help you, but we need to get you out." She looks at the cage, wondering what to do. The dagger wasn't strong enough..

Using her knowledge as a healer, and knowing the cage is flesh, possibly human,
She looks for a way to 'hurt' the cage, to free the woman.

[ooc: Is it open anywhere? Like at the top? And I'm sorry, life has been hectic for both of us, plus missed Jaded's last Post..]
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrard looking taken back that his dagger did not cut through the cage, he listens instead to Woman and Locky speak.

"Merithina, my companion speaks the Truth, we can help, but you need to be freed first. Did you ever see these Cages opened? Please, relax, and be quick. He considers attacking the cage with his sword, or possibly burning the cage.

"We need to find your 'Ulster' and get you out of her now." Turning to Bab he nods. "Agreed, we need to rescue these people if we can, then get back to Base Camp."

He looks to the cave entrance. "Can you keep an eye on them? Unless you have any ideas?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Yes, I'll keep an eye out for the podmen. And I have an idea: why don't we try a drop of the potion we found?"

This said, Babushka returns to her post and keeps in the shadow beside the entrance. 1d100=74
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrard nods "Yes, that is a very good idea." He finds the potion from whoever has it, and places a small drop at the base of the cage.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Ulster is in the cage on the other end of this room," Merithina says. "Or at least, he was. I haven't heard anyone come for him yet."

Locky examines the cages closely. There are no openings, including on the top. Not knowing much about fungus, she couldn't think of any way of 'harming' it.

"I'm not sure how they open," Merithina says. "The podmen themselves can't do it, someone else does. I think it might be whoever is behind this. He speaks some word to open them, but I could never hear it clearly. His voice sounded...inhuman."

Jerrard pours a single drop of the unknown potion on the fungus cage, but it has no affect that he can see.

Babushka returns to her hiding spot, but she isn't quite as well hidden as she thought. After a couple of moments, one of the podmen apparently sees her and starts to approach, arms outstretched.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Unaware of the Podmans approach, Jerrard Signals to Shay and Locky, pointing to the Cage the Woman mentioned, instead concentrating on the Cage.

(plant lore check: 11)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Shay looks to Locky. "You check the cage at the end, I'll check the two in the middle."

Jerrard carefully examines the fungus cage. It is made of an incredibly resilient strain of fungus. He theorizes that nothing short of acid or a potently enchanted weapon would break through it.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Babushka retreats into the chamber with the cages. "The podmen are coming!" she says as loudly as she dares.

She stands by the side of the tunnel, her staff ready to strike, and attacks as soon as the podman comes into view.
1d20, 1d6=[4], [2]

(ooc: the dice aren't with me these days)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Locky checks the cage as suggested, checking to see if 'Ulster' is inside, suddenly hearing Bab's cry, Locky turns suddenly, Hoopak ready in her hand, she gets some bullets ready.

"We cannot leave them here, I won’t leave them." She looks pleadingly to the group, Looking up at Jerrard and Shay. "How do we get them out, do we need magic?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi