Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by TristenC »

Allikhain, an immaculately dressed Human woman with flowing black hair, smiles. Well, it seems our request in camp was finally heard. Hmmm... we did ask for some fighters and rogues... what is your specialty?

Turning back to the others, she frowns. it seems our Dwarven Psion friend has already gone on ahead.

Axid concentrates, feeling his body become almost weightless. He reaches out and takes hold of the chain ladder, then steps off the platform, levitating in the air. With not so much as a word to the others, he descends rapidly into the darkness and out of sight...

Using the chain ladder only as a guide, Axid descends rapidly, the dark mound below slowly coming into view until after nearly one hundred yards a flat area with a large ovular shape comes into view. Mentally he slows and puts the breaks on as he realizes there is a massive snake head poised to strike!!!

[The ladder is about 300 feet long. Axid is about 40 feet from the bottom when the details really became clear to him in the darkness. The head looks like it must be at least 25 feet long!]
Attachments
Screenshot_20231120_075743_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

The Ogre zombie faces the newcomer as he guards the group back, his claws at the ready, but as Jack makes sure he doesn't mean any harm Ke'Sha orders the bear to lower his palms.
He looks at Allikhain "Yeah. He seems anxious to die. I don't mind." his face as honest as he could ever be. Then he turns to the newcomer, "So... Jack you said your name is? You appeared just in time. The dwarf ran off ahead. You offer help? What can you do? Could you call him down there make sure he is OK?" and Ke'Sha dramatically points to the abyss downstairs.
chris107
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris107 »

BishGada wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:52 am The Ogre zombie faces the newcomer as he guards the group back, his claws at the ready, but as Jack makes sure he doesn't mean any harm Ke'Sha orders the bear to lower his palms.
He looks at Allikhain "Yeah. He seems anxious to die. I don't mind." his face as honest as he could ever be. Then he turns to the newcomer, "So... Jack you said your name is? You appeared just in time. The dwarf ran off ahead. You offer help? What can you do? Could you call him down there make sure he is OK?" and Ke'Sha dramatically points to the abyss downstairs.

“Erm… was that a scream I just heard?”
chris107
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris107 »

Jack hurries to the edge and looks down into the darkness. With his human eyes and feeble light source can he see what’s happening?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[It is much too far for normal infravision or a lantern to discern what lies below without an independent light source at the location of interest. I.e. if someone dropped an object with continual light on it down there, everyone would be able to see it (albeit only at the detail that distance allows)]
chris107
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris107 »

TristenC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:29 am [It is much too far for normal infravision or a lantern to discern what lies below without an independent light source at the location of interest. I.e. if someone dropped an object with continual light on it down there, everyone would be able to see it (albeit only at the detail that distance allows)]
Jack suggests someone shed light on the scene below. He’s ready to help but is a great believer in looking before you leap.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Ironically, Thinking we would face larger problems. I did not ask the Sun Lord for a Light spell today."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Allikhain sighs and casts Continual Light on a small stone. Binky, dear. Drop this down there for us, please.

A 2-dimensional shadow appears beside her, retrieving the stone. It giggles, evilly as it flies over the ladder. Winking at Jack with its one eye, the quasit chuckles. Bets on if he's still alive anyone? No? Oh well. This outta be good!

The glowing rock falls quickly, and the group can see that the ladder goes down hundreds of feet. It narrowly misses Axid, still hovering beside the ladder about 40 feet from the bottom. Visibility is difficult at first as the stone ricochets around before settling in a curved feature on the ground... or... whatever is on the ground...

SNAKES! The floor seems completely covered with hundreds of snakes, but even more disturbingly the 25 foot long head of what must be a truly gargantuan snake dominates the center of the space. A head with its attention apparently trained on Axid...

[Actions?]
====
(credit for the image of "Binky" is the character Lucy from the show Disenchanted)
Attachments
Screenshot_20231120_121327_Firefox.jpg
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid makes a Life Detection scan (OoC: according to the Psi Handbook the DM should make the roll) of the area where the "snake" head is located.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
chris107
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris107 »

Jack does a rapid calculation of how much damage an Ogre zombie would do falling 300’ onto a giant snake….

Turning to whoever controls the beast he suggests telling it to take a dive. “I’ll find you a new one.”
Rainshadow
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Rainshadow »

A very tall human approaches the scene, looking to be around 9 feet in height. He quickly explains that he heard the party was looking for fighters, and caught up.

"I am Landro," the tall, mustachioed fighter says. He looks down at the snakes and has already shifted into business mode.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Well, I am feeling safer already!" Jag will comment.

He will take a quick look over the edge to see if he can come up with anything useful to add to the situation.
Dark Omen 67
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Dark Omen 67 »

Catching up to the giant human addressing the group, his total opposite steps from out of his shadow. A 5' tall Dwarf, with a barrel chest and massive arms, he has long curly dirty blonde hair and dark brown eyes. his dirty beard is curly and long, and his face and forehead are covered in multiple scars. He wears a Scale Mail Armor, carries a shield, and has a battle axe with a rope that allows the axe to hang over his shoulder. On the outside of his backpack, he has a Warhammer, spade, and mining pick attached with loops of leather straps.

"Hail Kenn, I am Braiden Forgedheart, Tunnel Guard of Delzoun, son of clan Forgedhearts, of the Totem of Onyx. I have been implored by the base camp leaders to join your noble quest. I offer you my axe and my loyalty both as true as mithral."
Demon inside a teddy bear
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"We seem to have happened upon a rabbit warren... we are multiplying exponentially." Jag quips with a smirk.
Rainshadow
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Rainshadow »

Landro smiles at the camaraderie, then focuses again on the snakes below.