Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 4: False Gods

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 4 - False Gods

Post by JadedDM »

Darga (Grand Market) [9:45 AM]
"Oh, right!" the kender says, slapping himself in the forehead. "They went east," he says, pointing west.

Kendra Synclair (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems) [8:15 AM]
Norris looks ready to respond, but then shakes his head and chuckles. "You're doing it again. Arguing for the sake of arguing, aren't you? Go ahead and get some rest. I'll make some breakfast and bring it up, if you like."

Gregeddin (Masked Dragon Inn, common room) [9:15 AM]
"The staff dates back to before the Cataclysm," the monk claims. "It is the last of its kind. The ability to make more were lost with the old clerics. Hence why this staff is so valuable. As for the green gemstone man, if caught he will...be returned to where he belongs."

The three monks stand up, although they have not yet finished their meals. "We thank you for your company this morning, good sir. Should you learn anything about the staff or the fugitive, we have rooms here at the Masked Dragon."

The three then head upstairs without a further word.

Haahqae (Outside the mageware shop) [8:30 AM]
Haahqae steps outside, finding the sky to be overcast and grey. As he prepares to follow Herbalist street south to reach the mageware shop, he notices some kind of commotion on the road north, at the market place. It looks like a big crowd of people has formed over something.

=============

(OOC: Sorry if it feels like I'm just jerking you around, djhyland, but since BishGada hasn't posted yet where he's going, I can't actually have the kender tell Darga that information. Lousy time paradoxes...)
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

(OOC: No problem; I can wait!)
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"How very rare and exquisite. I see, an ominous warning indeed." Gregeddin responds, "My thanks to you too for the company and sharing your story. I shall send word if learn of anything further."

He finishes up his food and looks around the common room to see what the other parties are up to, who is still here, have any new persons entered the common room. Are the watching table still eyeing him suspiciously? Being closer to the seating area, is it also possible to hear the contents of any other conversations that may be going on?
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Well then, if I know how time works, and I know I know that, then it took me fifteen minutes to get back to the tankard, fifteen for my morning exercises, and it'll take me fifteen more to get back to the shop, so I got fifteen minutes to spare to find out what's happening here."

Without further ado Haahqae makes his way through the crowd to find out what they're all staring at.
Veni Vidi Vici
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"No, I'm not," Kendra says defensively. She actually believed what she was saying! With a sigh, she got comfortable in bed. "And I guess breakfast would be fine."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin (Masked Dragon Inn, common room) [9:20 AM]
Gregeddin finishes his meal and water and takes stock of who is in the common area with him.

The human and the elf he eavesdropped on earlier have finished their meal and are standing up to leave.

The Seeker priestess is still alone, and about half-way through her cup of tea.

The paranoid humans seem to have lost interest in Gregeddin after the monks departed. They are working through their meal quickly and should be done soon.

Which means the only table where conversation is still happening (if rather one-sided) is the human and the dwarf. The human continues speaking animatedly while the dwarf does her best to appear interested (and failing, at that). This does not seem to deter the human any. Gregeddin strains to overhear what the human is saying.

"...but that's the wonderful thing about it all, is we accept everyone, rich or poor, male or female, young or old, human, elf or dwarf," she says.

"What about goblins?" asks the dwarf, speaking up for the first time.

The human hesitates, perhaps surprised by the question or surprised by the interruption. "Umm...what?"

"If a goblin wanted to join your group, would you let him? Or what about a gully dwarf. Or a kender?"

The human blanches. The dwarf smiles, almost sinisterly and quickly lifts her bowl up to her face to hide it, and slurp more soup.

"I suppose...if they were really devoted," the human says tentatively.

The dwarf lowers her bowl. "So they'd get into the Promised Land, too? Doesn't sound like much of a place if kender and gully dwarves and goblins are running around."

"But they won't be," the human objects. "I mean, not anymore. Once in the Promised Land, the Master would transform them into a higher form."

The dwarf raises her brow. "What higher form?"

"Like normal people," the human replies.

"What's normal?" asks the dwarf.

"You know..," the human hesitates. She shrugs, unable to finish.

The dwarf stares at her silently, then her eyes widen in understanding. "You mean they'd turn human?" the dwarf asks. She slaps the table. "You have got to be shitting me!" She sounds half offended and half amused.

It's at this point that two more people enter the inn together. One is male and the other female, both are human. They are wearing dark cloaks and Gregeddin hears the creak of leather, just barely, as they pass by. The male orders at the bar, then the two sit down at an empty table at the far end of the room--away from everyone else--and engage in quiet conversation while they wait for their food.

Haahqae (Outside the mageware shop) [8:30 AM]
Haahqae pushes his way through the crowd, mostly by just ducking between their legs since humans are so tall anyway. When he reaches the center, he finds Tulbas patching up his uncle. Raetmal lies on the ground, badly wounded and evidently unconscious. Tulbas has just finished bandaging the worse of his wounds.

Kendra Synclair (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems) [8:30 AM]
Kendra lies in bed for about fifteen minutes, and then Norris returns with a tray of fried eggs, bacon, and juice. "Here we are. I need to go get the shop ready for opening. Let me know if you need anything else," he says.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Thanks," Kendra says. She pulls the tray on her lap and eats away at her breakfast.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"What's going on here?" Haahqae asks, jogging over to Tulbas, "Was there an attack? Oh no, don't tell me I missed all the action. Was it undead? Demons? Cultists?"

Haahqae tries looking at Ratmael's wounds to determine what caused them, be it scratches, spells or weapons, but reading books about wounds hasn't given him much of a clue of what actual wounds look like, so he ends up as clueless as when he started.

(OoC: Haahqae tries a check to figure out the wounds origin, but I presume that would take a heal check, which Haahqae is not proficient in, so he fails the check)
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin smiles to himself listening to the conversation of the cultist and the dwarf. Her response was pure excellence for the situation, however he had no desire to get involved with the Master, or Fistandantilus' cult. Maybe the dwarves story would be of interest, but with the worshipper there, there seemed no feasible way to get a decent conversation going.

Gregeddin considers imposing himself on the leathery couple that have just walked in, but is deterred by the fact they voluntarily sit far away from anyone else and imagines that they would rather be left alone. That didn't stop him with the heavily cloaked and bandaged monks, the sight of the elf and man leaving draws his attention. Gregeddin rises too, makes his way to the stage to tip the quartet of minstrels four copper and makes his way out to the courtyard, following the pair.

When he and the pair are both in the empty courtyard he calls out, "Tradesmen!" to grab their attention. Approaching them he clears his throat and begins a little rustily in elven, "Quash your fears, your colleague is right. The roads will be harsh this winter, so stay until spring while business is booming!" Gregeddin concludes, in common, "And you may be presented with an opportunity to expand your business."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas is furious not having the healer kit with him. 'Just when I need it!' after finishing bandaging Raetmal he looks up searching Kynaston, and sees Haaque. "Haaque, quickly, find Kynaston, I need his help carrying my uncle to the Herbalist. He was right there a minute ago." and he gestures to where he stood with Kynaston and Daxia. He pushes everything back to the backpack, throws it over his shoulders, stands up, carrying Raetmal half way with him. "I'm going to the Herbalist over there." he rasps with strain as he starts dragging his uncle to the Herbalist's location.

=============================================================
(OOC: Sorry about the delay. Let's go after the Hill giant! No, wait... after the black robed mage!! No after the mummies!!! Wow! So much options :) )
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Kendra Synclair (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems) [8:45 AM]
Kendra finishes her breakfast in silence while Norris prepares the shop to be opened soon.

Haahqae and Tulbas (Grand Market) [8:30 AM]
Haahqae examines Raetmal's wounds, but having no expertise in such things, cannot tell much. It's clear that Raetmal has been beaten and stabbed, though. His face is swollen and he sports a black eye, and the wounds in his torso are clearly puncture wounds, like from a dagger or knife.

Haahqae does not spot Daxia or Kynaston anywhere in the crowd. Too many people are standing around him, blocking his view. Perhaps if he were taller or could stand on someone's shoulders, he might be able to spot them. But as it stands, they are lost in a sea of too-tall people.

Tulbas, meanwhile, begins half-carrying, half-dragging his unconscious uncle south, toward Herbalist street. There's a healer there that might be able to help him.

Gregeddin (Masked Dragon Inn, courtyard) [9:20 AM]
When Gregeddin calls out to the elf and human in the courtyard, they both freeze and spin to face him. After the bard says his piece, the two exchange looks. The human appears confused, but mostly frightened. It's clear he has no idea what is being said. The elf, however, remains calmer, but still appears rather tense. "You were eavesdropping on us, stranger?" he asks in Common, perhaps for the sake of his companion. "Who are you, and what do you want?"

Darga (Grand Market) [9:45 AM]
"No, wait," the kender says. "South, they went south. Down Herbalist Street. But that was over an hour ago," he admits.

=============

Gregeddin spends 4 CP.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Indeed I was" Gregeddin replies in common, "Your guard being down in a public place may have been a mistake, or a stroke of fortune. Who am I? An opportunist, sensing there could be an opportunity to generate a profit. I'm sure as two entrepreneurs you can both appreciate that sentiment. What do I want? Well that partly depends if you're both interested in having a business discussion. It might boost sales to have a local who knows where at least some of the steel in this town is flowing." He leaves tantalisingly hanging in the air.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra decides it is best to go head and get the rest that she needs to heal up.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks at Haaque standing on his toes, looking here and there. He looks himself around, searching for Kynaston and wondering why the Knight is willing to sacrifice himself stupidly going with Daxia and not coming to help him right away when he saw his uncle falls to the ground. He tries to wave and calls his name. Then, irritated, he tells Haaque, "Could you give me a hand here?"

===================================================================================
(OOC: If Tulbas sees Kynaston he will call him specifically, otherwise he will try few general calls to Kynaston hoping to be louder than the crowd around.)
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga nods his appreciation to the kender before hurrying after their directions. "Thanks ta both a' ya. It's good ta meet some people are still willin' ta help others these days."

(OOC: Given that there's still an hour or so difference, feel free to skip over Darga until you're ready for him...that is, unless you've got something else in mind for him!)