Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by TristenC »

As Ke'Sha and the others voice their thoughts and the necromancer begins to descend to bring the rope to rattle, there is a loud groaning noise of metal grinding. Suddenly a Deafening echo shakes the place like a wall-sized gong was struck by some Titanic hammer!

In that same instant, Ke'Sha's connection with the skeleton is cut...

Allikhain grimaces, Anything nearby will have obviously heard that... we should be ready...
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Woah, what was that? Is everyone accounted for?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Sounded to me like it came from below where the skeleton was... Jack says. The rest of us are all up here. he says, taking a quick count of his companions. Looking around Jag can see that indeed everyone except 'rattle' is present
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha grimaces. "'Rattle' used to scalp annoying dwarves that were ready to sacrifice people they thought less of them." he answers Jag while looking at Axid, his eyes burn with anger, "And now he is lost." he looks down the pit. "The noise is indeed from down there, at the last moment before 'Rattle'... well... literally rattled for the last time, he heard the noise from close." he pauses. "Allakhain, could you please lend your shining stone so we can see the first floor near the door we opened? If there is nothing there, Jack, you and me will get down to check what was the noise and where are Rattle remains. Maybe the next room had a trap. Or maybe something hit the metal door we opened."
======================================================================================
(OOC: For Ke'Sha the undead are not as expendable as one would think since his powers are coming from faith. Serving the Undead lord, well, the undead are manifestation of his belief. But still, being evil, he considers them as expendable as the rest of the party members. ;)

I'm adding if/elses to the posts since I think it might help us move faster.

In case they don't see anything on the floor they stood before, Ke'Sha and Jack will go again to check it. I'm not sure if the light is enough and they can see through the door to the next room. But if they see creatures down there at any of the levels, I assume the whole party will get down to the fight with the fighter leading and Ke'Sha close by.
)
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid lets Ke$ha's ire roll right off of him taking zero notice of the anger in the intonation. His concern being on the rather loud noise that may have alerted others in the cave system that something could be amiss. He looks around at the passages in the area alert for possible adversaries making their way to this location.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Allikhain jestures to Jack who has the glowing stone. A bit cautiously he begins to descend slowly to see what has befallen Rattle. Once he and Ke'Sha reach the room below they can see no sign of Rattle, and the door is closed once again... Perhaps the noise was the door slamming shut... Jack muses mentally to everyone.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Probably... Can you check if you can prevent the door from falling after opening it? Maybe stick some wedge to hold it or dent it's track. There was something down there that might be worth checking."

==========================================================
(OOC: does the carving on the door change?)
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid climbs down the ladder with the others and takes in the view. To himself, he wishes Rattle peace in death.
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid also via the mental link: “We’ve got company coming out of the hatchway I detected life in. That slam noise has alerted the area it would seem.” He hastens down to the others.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

With that warning and without a second thought Jag will cast Mirror Image, and move closer to the chain ladder.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

[1d20]=15
Power Score:Con-1, 16-1=15

Axid mentally communicates the position of the shimmer he sees to everyone and tells them he is about to open a dimension door and for the ones on the platform to funnel any others into the Dimensional Door.

Acid opens the 'door' right under the shimmering from where it exited the hatch and opens the exit 50 yards away diagonally up in the air off the edge of the platform they are on where he hopes maximum splatitude can be achieved.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Jack, Axid, I guess we should join the others if these creatures are coming at us. We can look at the door here again later."

====================================================================
(OOC: I'm not sure I understood your dimension door correctly. You open it in front of the creatures or at their feet and make them appear somewhere high above the ground so they will fall and crash? Nice trick. ;)
BTW is it possible to just close and lock hatch D which is where I understand they are coming from?)
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

(OOC: This is a Psi power which is different from the mage version. Axid was looking around and noticed the creature as he began to descend the ladder down to where Ke'sha and Jack are. Axid does not know if there are more coming from the hatch or not. Because of that he requested the others on the platform 'herd' or 'funnel' any other creatures (if any) to the 'door'.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

(OOC: Oh! I thought Axid felt them coming from hatch D not descending hatch C. So you pretty much saves us, but if the three of us climb up we may enter the same dimension door and also appear high up and fall. Right?)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

BishGada wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:31 pm (OOC: Oh! I thought Axid felt them coming from hatch D not descending hatch C. So you pretty much saves us, but if the three of us climb up we may enter the same dimension door and also appear high up and fall. Right?)
[Ooc]
Axid saw them coming from the hatch where he detected life. He is planning to put the dimensional door on the ground beside that hatch so anything climbibg out falls into it and appears in the air ofd the side of the underground hill so they fall very far.

The lids can be replaced on the hatches, but they don't lock and something is already through. I'll do a full post here later today [/ooc]