Monster Competition?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Poll: Who wants a Beastmaster Competition?

I do!
100%
I don't!
No votes

Total votes: 10

TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Monster Competition?

Post by TigerStripedDog »

Do we have any of the archived Monster Competition files? Would someone be willing to get that started again? That would be really cool. I remember winning that a couple of times and getting to be called "Beastmaster". That was fun. The themes were always great too.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
SightblinderX
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by SightblinderX »

I may not contribute to it regularly, but I did enjoy reading the entries :)
Kensai & Professional Hero
Rblademaster
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Rblademaster »

I think I could probably contribute. But I'm not sure if we would have a wide enough spread. Demanding one edition might make it easier to "judge" but having multie editions might make it more excesible. desicions decisions
Tyranthraxus
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Tyranthraxus »

I'd like Beastmaster to start up again; I'm much, much better than I used to be, and I'd like to see what I can do by now. I'd say use both editions, and judge mostly on flavor and creativity. On a related note, comment on me monsters! :lol:
What fools these mortals be- Smaug the Golden
jesuslovedhumor
Peddler
Peddler

Post by jesuslovedhumor »

forive my ignorance but what is a beastmaster competition?
"He surrendered? sorry, I didn't hear it; I was too busy chopping off his head."
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

A competition of monster creation. Every month there was a category/theme that had to be followed: e.g. Creatures of Darkness, Creatures of Light, Dessert Marauders, Welcome to the Jungle... things like this. So yo create a creature, and all of its relevant information for whatever edition you prefer, and you submit the creature on the boards. At some date in the month the moderators would judge the creatures by several criteria. Whichever creatures won were given to one of the board members to draw out and present for viewing. As well, the winner was given the custom title of "Beastmaster" for the following month until the next competition was completed. All submissions were ranked showing who scored what.

It was a good natured competition, and led to some great creativity.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
Stormonu
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Stormonu »

It was definitely fun to make the creatures, but getting people to judge was/is the hard part.

Maybe we could trick ...erm... talk JMFD to judging it?
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

I think we should get Marcus to do it. The guy is fair and balanced. I would be willing as well. If Marcus or I does it, I won't compete if everyone else thinks it would be unfair. Obviously if I judge I can't compete.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
Marcus
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Marcus »

I would do it, but I have no qualifications outside of a couple of players who claim I can get it done in the DM spot. I warn anyone in advance, I am tough on any ideas that go my way, and the stories behind these creatures have got to be crisp if you want me to call you Beastmaster. Anyway, let me know.
"These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days."
Degen_Nerve_Disorder
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Degen_Nerve_Disorder »

If you people don't have marcus judge I'm going to voodoo hex your grandchildren.

As in, he's awesome.
...because DND breaks down and loses intelligence with each Edition.
Loki
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Loki »

TigerStripedDog wrote:Dessert Marauders
Aggghhhhh! The dreaded Lemon Mirangue Gang! Run!
:P

If I have time between selling my house and the promotion at work, I can try to help out and do some pencil drawings for a winner.
MatanThunder
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MatanThunder »

8O

I might give it a go....although I might ask for a definition of the Judges view of "Crisp"??

8)
Ismaels-Legacy
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

And I will return to do Illustrations (Of course they will have to be in Black and White since my time isa bit more constrained right now).
Tyranthraxus
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Tyranthraxus »

Heh. In that case, should I start it, or does anybody else want to take a crack at the theme?

In any case, it's a little late for a Feb. contest, so a March contest sound okay?
What fools these mortals be- Smaug the Golden
Rblademaster
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Rblademaster »

Seems like a fair deal, I'd give march a go. with the renewed spirits we should be able to expect quite a turnup
"...not touching that with a 25 foot collapsable pole..."