Design a Room

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Design a Room

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Post your original room designs.

Examples:

#1: Fools Gold

This room is filled with all sorts of treasure: Gold, Magic Weapons, Platinum, Wonderous Items, Magical Armor, Rings, Scrolls, all sorts of stuff. Make sure the items are an appropriate level for your party, as too powerful would make them suspicious.

This treasure is real. To keep the PC's on their toes, ask for a Will Save each time they touch something. The DC is an easy 10, so just act annoyed when they make it, or grin when they fail. If they fail their will save, the item they picked up disappears. Don't worry, there's another +2 flaming sword around here somewhere.

Allow your players to pocket all the gear they want. You may even throw in some good versions of regular gear (masterwork thieves tools, a magical tent of some form or another, everburning torches, etc).

Whatever you do, just keep muttering how much you shouldn't have given them this room, and that they are going to have to face harder encounters to make up for it.

The one caveat is once they leave this room, the treasures they picked up stay with them for one more room only. After they leave this SECOND room (hopefully one with a combat), all the loot they are carrying that came out of that room disappears, and any items they may have left behind in order to carry more stuff (regular torches for the everburning ones), are gone for good as well.

#2: The Chess Room

Simple room. The floor is in the pattern of a chess board. The PCs walk in the room to fill the spots of the back Row Pieces (Depending on how many PCs there are).

First PC to walk in the room is King, second Queen, Bishop, Knight ,Knight, and so on. Players find themselves up against an opposition of either golems or skeletons(if you rather it be easier) The fact of the matter is that it can be any nonsentient being.

Now the Dm whips out the chess set, and assigns the players to their specific pieces. The Pieces not representing the PCs on their side, can be controlled by them, via Mental command. Basically, what this comes down to is a literal game of chess between the Dm and the Players. Players are free to talk amongst themselves about the next move they will make, but obviously, only the player can move himself (the piece he represents on the actual chess board which he is playing the DM on.)

If players find themselves in a position where their piece they represent is to be taken, It represents the Golem moving in and attacking them. The Character then must fight the creature one on one. If the PC defeats the creature, his piece is allowed to stay on the board and the attacking piece can be removed. If the player's piece is taken on the attack, they will offer no defense and may be struck down with one blow. Players moving out of their turn are subjected to harsh penalties, possibly an electric shock. Those attacking out of their turn, be it ranged weapons or magic should suffer the same fate. A check mate or a stale mate win the game for the PC's All pieces drop to the floor and the PCs are free to enter the next room.
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

ok, this room is based off of old folklore...

the player characters would enter the room of the dungeon as they normally would. It appears to be nothing more than an empty room at first, but once they close the door or look away from it the room mprphs into what looks like the inside of a tavern! it is warm inside the tavern, many people are having fun drinking singing and generally having a good time. If the players try to open the door they came in they may find out that it is completely unopenable. They wiill also notice that all of the people in the bar are elven. The people in the bar will not believe the fact that this is not real, because the poeple themselves are not real. if the players get violent with any of the patrons, they reappear where they were when the room first morphed. The whole time they are in here people keep trying to convince them to eat or drink...if the players do eat or drink any of the food here they must make a Will save Dc 25 or be trapped in this gap of space and time forever...the trapped character will simply feel very happy and tired, they will fall asleep and never awaken.

There is only one exit from this room, fire...you must burn it down...the DM should probably give some hints or strange riddles pertaining to this room prior to the players actually finding it

if anyone has another idea for how to get out of the room, please post them!
phindar
Freeman
Freeman

Post by phindar »

This is a room I am planning to use as part of an update of a classic module. It's basically just a cave with a beholder in it. But I've decided to go in a slightly different direction.

Instead of one beholder, when the PC's enter the cave they will be confronted with 12 beholders, who are sitting in alcoves that are evenly spaced along the walls of this circular room. The joke is, the 12 beholders are really one beholder, and 11 of the "alcoves" are really mirrors. The bad part is the mirrors allow the beholder to reflect more of its eye rays towards the party than it would normally be able to. And, until they figure out which beholder is the real one, they won't know where to concentrate their attacks.

This encounter is something of an inside joke with one of my players, who ran most of this group though an encounter where a bunch of portly senators turned out to be polymorphed beholders and gauths. I've also been making a lot of beholder minis from craft foam and doll eyes, so I've got like 30 of the buggers floating around.

Ismaels-Legacy
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Those are pretty sweet!
Iron-Fist Ismael
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

hey...does the searing light spell bounce off mirrors? that would really help when fighting that behloder! :D
phindar
Freeman
Freeman

Post by phindar »

The next room I want to design will acutally come up in my next came, the climatic battle of the classic module "A3: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords". The battle takes place in a large room (100'x100') underground, the only features of which are nine ornate chairs set on pedestals. I'd like to change that up.

The boss of the bosses is a bucaneer, and since this is for a later edition, he's got class abilities that give him bonuses when fighting on the heaving decks of a ship at sea. How fun would it be to have a swashbuckling pirate fight in a dungeon.

I haven't decided how to go about it yet, though. Do I make it a Mirage Arcana that the bad guys will willingly believe, or a substantial mechanical setup with illusionary elements, or a pocket dimension to the elemental plane of water, or a ship in a sea cave that leads out into a nearby lake? (The last one reminds me of "The Goonies".)

I kind of like the Mirage Arcana idea, if only because I like working within the existing framework of the system. It doesn't require a lot of handwaving if the setting alread provides the means to accomplish stuff. Though it becomes a matter of what sort of bonuses and penalties would be applicable for making or resisting the illusion. (Some characters would love to fight on the decks of the ship, being swashy types, whereas the heavy armored fighters would not care for it all.)
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

anything goonies related makes me happy :D
phindar
Freeman
Freeman

Post by phindar »

The Mirage Arcana will make the chamber appear to be a swirling maelstrom, although the water won't be real. Characters could basically just walk across it. So the non-boat part will likely be covered with Spike Stones. And the Evard's Black Tentacles will make a good stand in for a kraken attack.

The room is basically the bad guy's holodeck, where they kill time over the long, cold winters. Since the bad guys aren't expecting the PC's, they're being interrupted in the middle of one of their pirate sessions. This means the bad guy wizard will probably give up his Cone of Cold for it, but he has lots of other attack spells and with 54hp, I'd be amazed if he gets to cast them all anyway. This is also a long, long way to go to give one NPC a +2 to his AC (from the Scarlet Corsair PrC, +2 dodge bonus when on a ship), but hopefully it will make for a memorable encounter.
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Three Trolls In A Fountain:

This small paved cavern is almost like a courtyard. The roof is high and filled with luminous fungus that glows as brightly as the sun at dawn. The walls, to a height of about ten feet, have been squared-off and made into frescos. In the centre of the room, surrounded by normally surface living plants arranged into a small garden with a few stone benches, is a large ornate fountain with some reeds growing in it. The fountain is home to three trolls (who are breathing through the reeds) waiting to ambush people. The leader of the trolls has learned some spells and has made her fellows invisible. They attack as soon as the party is relaxed, keeping to the water if they can to avoid damage from fire and acid; the first two trolls go for hand to hand combat, while their leader attacks with three magic missile spells (cast at level 6) before joining in the attack.

The Paint Room

This room has white walls, celing, and floor. Scattered throughout the room are easels, trays of paint, and brushes.

Some may notice that some of the easels have pictures of different monsters and NPCs.

Once the players enter the center of the room, the various pictures come to life and attack the PC's.

Suggested monsters:
Hook Horror
Dire Wolf
Brownie
Evil Cleric
Gnoll

After the players finish off each monster, they disappear in a puff of smoke, only to reappear on it's original painting. After 5 rounds, the picture re-activates. The paintings must be destroyed in order for this to end.

The only way out is for the players to paint themselves a doorway.
Long live the Witch Queen!!!