How much detail should a character have?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Jenara wrote:Personally, and this is just me, no insult to either your game or any of your players, but I'd work on that... you will never invest in a character you are going to have to change... maybe a long term campaign like an official box set is in order?? It might help bring a change.... of course, if you like that style then ignore me...
Well, we've been attempting at completeing longer campaigns of late. We actually got through an entire prefab campaign! Incredible.

I think we still have a party stuck in the middle of a certain shadowy pryamid....

In any case, my current character really doesn't have much room for a backstory. He's a warforged, built for combat using swordmagic. I've decided he hates slavery, as it reminds him of the fact that he was basically born into slavery.

Annd...that's about all I got :lol:

Although I do have this semi summonable Imp. He comes out whenever I roll a 1, and latches on to my characters face. If I outgrapple him, I can toss him for a bonus single attack lol.

It should be noted that I'm the only one who resisted changing my character completely when PHB 3 came out. Wasn't too happy that the guys changed their characters completely. The most I did was some minor tweaks to my character. But he's basically unchanged. Still the Tin Man who pisses everything off so they want to hit him.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Jenara »

That's a start right?

Glad you didn't think I was insulting your game play!!
Like you said if he forged for battle, that would be all he knows, I would let him learn about the world around him.

You actually have a unique opportunity to create his character, it could be formed by the things he sees, I 'd say play him as a child, one that doesn't understand things and so just attacks them, he does what he knows because it makes him feel better.

And if he hates slavery that's a start, you could go tons of places with that.

OH and the IMP sounds cool!!!

As for the whole changing your PC's when a new book comes out, I mean seriously?? This is Not the point of this thread so I won't go any further...
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Yeah I know, I swear my guys have add hardcore :lol:

OOO SHINEY NEW STUFF!

*facepalms*
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Crimson-Kobold wrote:Yeah I know, I swear my guys have add hardcore :lol:

OOO SHINEY NEW STUFF!

*facepalms*
Well I would just go ahead and keep him as he is (What's his name btw?). I recall someone in a old group who had to have everything he could, it got beyond a joke. Oooo A new book, I must use this, I know I'll play a Thiri-Kreen... like why?

Seriously create him a personality based on what happens to him, slip a few traits in here and there and your DM would get the idea and go with it, I bet the others will follow!
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

My group was informed quite recently that we are not allowed to use the library meeting room to play D&D anymore, something about having a "legally responsible adult" with you or something...

anyway, we were going to pick up a new campaign using the pathfinder rules, but then our Gm backed out. It sucks because i had an idea for this young sorceror who had been infused with the elemental forces and had become a living incarnation of autumn. He was going to be a Ginger kid with an irish accent. I was gonna name him willace :cry: and i was gonna go into a sorceror/druid mix (if i had appropriate scores)...i was getting really intereseted in this character...
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Jenara wrote:
Crimson-Kobold wrote:Yeah I know, I swear my guys have add hardcore :lol:

OOO SHINEY NEW STUFF!

*facepalms*
Well I would just go ahead and keep him as he is (What's his name btw?). I recall someone in a old group who had to have everything he could, it got beyond a joke. Oooo A new book, I must use this, I know I'll play a Thiri-Kreen... like why?

Seriously create him a personality based on what happens to him, slip a few traits in here and there and your DM would get the idea and go with it, I bet the others will follow!
lol, the random name generator gave the perfect name for a Warforged Swordmage: Rune :lol:

Ha...Thiri-keen...I remember the old Dark Sun PC game...I had a Thiri-keen who was rendered blind, and for whatever reason I could not cure it, BUT....it didn't hinder them, making them kinda bad ass lol.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Crimson-Kobold wrote:
lol, the random name generator gave the perfect name for a Warforged Swordmage: Rune :lol:

Ha...Thiri-keen...I remember the old Dark Sun PC game...I had a Thiri-keen who was rendered blind, and for whatever reason I could not cure it, BUT....it didn't hinder them, making them kinda bad ass lol.
Rune is a pretty cool name.

I just checked them out, its so strange that if I tried playing a character like this in old 2e I would have been accused of Powergaming! But this is an Eberron thing right? SO the game is balanced and no one has greater power?

Like I've said these characters have the opportunity for a personality, a very unique one at that.

Warforged Is actually a pretty good article.

I think I now see what the deal is, the system gives you the abilities, an idea of how they act and you get to fill in the blanks. IF you want to play it straight and kill things then fine, but there is nothing to stop you RPing it up too.

The system just seems to be obsessed with skills and modifications!
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Wizard_of_Wumbo wrote:My group was informed quite recently that we are not allowed to use the library meeting room to play D&D anymore, something about having a "legally responsible adult" with you or something...
Just how old are you anyway young man? lol
Wizard_of_Wumbo wrote: anyway, we were going to pick up a new campaign using the pathfinder rules, but then our Gm backed out. It sucks because i had an idea for this young sorceror who had been infused with the elemental forces and had become a living incarnation of autumn. He was going to be a Ginger kid with an irish accent. I was gonna name him willace :cry: and i was gonna go into a sorceror/druid mix (if i had appropriate scores)...i was getting really intereseted in this character...
So still make him, save him for another game?? I have tons of PC's that never got to be used, its good to have a few in the bag!

I like the idea, I know a Red headed Irishman... lol
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Jenara wrote:
Crimson-Kobold wrote:

Rune is a pretty cool name.

I just checked them out, its so strange that if I tried playing a character like this in old 2e I would have been accused of Powergaming! But this is an Eberron thing right? SO the game is balanced and no one has greater power?

Like I've said these characters have the opportunity for a personality, a very unique one at that.

Warforged Is actually a pretty good article.

I think I now see what the deal is, the system gives you the abilities, an idea of how they act and you get to fill in the blanks. IF you want to play it straight and kill things then fine, but there is nothing to stop you RPing it up too.

The system just seems to be obsessed with skills and modifications!
They originated from Eberron, which is a damn fine setting. They were made a more standardized race in 4E however. There's a lot one can do roleplaying wise with Warforged, since they've suddenly been given independance, many are lost in a sense, as they have no meaning in life now that the war is over. In Rune's case, he resented being created solely for war, since he had no choice in the matter, but has little other options aside from adventuring. Currently he's unaligned (Neutral for non 4E folk), but the more he encounters people in slavery conditions, the more he feels compelled to assist them given his own history.

At least that's what I tell myself :lol:

Doesn't come up that often.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Re: How much detail should a character have?

Post by Shao Khan »

I'm all for players getting into their creations, it's the name of the game.
But low level peeps die. Easy.
So after 10hrs of your character R&D can turn into massive disappointment when a carnivorous turnip kills you and you have to move on to another char after only a session or so. That might seem like you overdid it?