Things of the Past Archive

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Things of the Past Archive

Post by Cole »

Well, thanks to BM, I've dug up a ton of old stuff from PADND's past (2003 or before) to be exact.

BM asked me to see if I could at least archive some of the site's former glory and so I began seeing what I could do last night.

So far I've tried;

To get the original forums working: to no avail, the code is just to old or obsolete.
To get perhaps/not sure about this but the original PBMB forums working (seems to have worked) < Is anyone interesting in reading this old stuff or am I wasting time?
Tried to get the coolest old game working known as "Conquest" made by Xilton, but It just doesn't have any db tables for me :(
Tried to get old download archive working (yes the one that actually had descriptions in full), seems I can get it to work...but it's a hassle somewhat.
Tried to get the old Monster Ranker/NPC ranker to work, all are to old to run properly, code is crap.

Anything else people want me to try?
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Things of the Past Archive

Post by Cole »

Managed to restore one of PADnD's best old features... the Download Archive in FULL from 2003. Over 2000+ downloads all categorized with descriptions. I just have to tweak a few cosmetic flaws and I'll add it to the website menu(s) :up:
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Awesome Cole, and thank you for restoring all these downloads and attempting to bring pad&d's rich archive into the present for us. Much appreciated bro.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Your welcome! That will attract tons of leechers... now to attract some actual fans ;)
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

They're out there man, just watch and see. You did a good thing Cole. :)
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Ok, it's done and while I was doing that, I decided to finish off my new template for the site because it's a blast from the past too! :D

Here is what the new site will look like, which mimics the classic PDnD look of the original website. People loved this look back then, please note if you like the current look/style of the site or prefer the classic one found here;

http://www.padnd.com/dl_3e_dndcc.php

I have designed a template and config file so I can change the look of the entire site in about 2 minutes ... easy as pie :up:
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Those netbooks are the downloads?
They look great, I'll have to add them to the helpful links over at & Magazine where AD&D is what we're all about!
;)
--Ron--
http://www.unseenservant.us
for Play by Post gaming!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

HAHA no no, look at the top of padnds homepage ;)

under the drop down downloads menu you will see I added 3 sections (Classic Files, 3E and CR2) each of those categories has sub categories which have thousands of downloads :D

that page is just a sample of the style I'm working on for PADnD :)
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Cole wrote:Ok, it's done and while I was doing that, I decided to finish off my new template for the site because it's a blast from the past too! :D

Here is what the new site will look like, which mimics the classic PDnD look of the original website. People loved this look back then, please note if you like the current look/style of the site or prefer the classic one found here;

http://www.padnd.com/dl_3e_dndcc.php

I have designed a template and config file so I can change the look of the entire site in about 2 minutes ... easy as pie :up:

I love the design you have planned for the site Cole, also I read &Magazine, I know some of the contributors. If you haven't tried it you are missing out on alot of cool content for ad&d. :read:
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Even better resource then Cole!
Thanks for the words Bm!! We were just featured on the Roll for Initiative podcast too. Kinda cool.

--Ron--
for Play by Post gaming!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Hey that does look cool! I'll read up :read: ... is this site something PADnD can host a feed for rredmond? Look like I can run an XML feed eh?

Can we host files etc also? As you can see "The Borg" has allot of files :wink:
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

I'm a social worker so I'm not sure what hosting the feed may entail. But our website, which we just updated today, at www.and-mag.com has unlimited storage. That much I know. :)

But thanks Cole!!

--Ron--
for Play by Post gaming!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Well I like to horde files here as D&D sites tend to come and go and then all is lost. Not that your site will ever die, but having a backup site with files is always good. I tend to download everything and slowly archive it to padnd.com This way there is always a backup, just in case something bad happens to another good website or service. ;)

Prime example is out CR2 files (I think we are the only site online hosting these, at least this many)

PADnD also has virtually unlimited storage and for the most part bandwidth (our host is great!). I'll make an archive of & Magazine once I get the chance. I love the concept behind it and this is truly the type of site we like to keep going :)

May have to start up a affiliates program again soon :)
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Yes. We'd be perfect affiliates or whatever.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on & Magazine in depth too, when you get a chance. Also any marketing ideas send 'em my way!! Thanks Cole.

Be well man,
--Ron--
for Play by Post gaming!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

You put a link /button to PADnD.com from your site's homepage and we'll do the same :) Affiliation complete ;)