Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread III

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread III

Post by Haahque »

So it strikes me that as a team... our communication is horrible. We have a lot of people spending a lot of time traveling across the city to talk to other players about stuff that has happened, and half the time it doesn't work because that player's up to doing something and is therefore somewhere else completely.

The answer to this obviously is to get a psion to psychically link all of us so that we can have instant communication regardless of distance.

Stooping to some measures as having mailboxes or trying to congregate in one base of operations would be rather primitive.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

It's not just communication, the party as a whole isn't...well, whole. Everyone has their own agendas, and sometimes those agendas tie in with others. But most often they don't. And some times they even conflict with each other.

Haahqae and Tulbas are putting on a show, Kendra is doing whatever is necessary to survive (at any cost), Grubnick wants to start a revolution, Arulia is just trying to keep her family alive, Felran, Ne-Chanz and Shima just want to adventure and...at this point, I have no idea what Gregeddin is trying to do anymore.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. This conflict and drama have made for some pretty great stories so far, after all.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

It is natural that we don't have the same agendas. But indeed we need to improve communication. Maybe on the next chapter... :)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

(OOC: The question is, who are you hiring for security? Not the baaz themselves, I would assume. But soldiers are the only ones allowed to carry weapons.)
I don't see any reason I can't hire some Baaz as security. It's not like the baaz are brainwashed to not be able to think for themselves. Pay a little premium (out of the costs to host the event) to some security guards (3 or 4) who will be willing to make sure the baaz don't cause trouble and pay their fees, and as a bonus they can get a free show.

Some quotes I'm thinking about from the bard's handbook:
The cost of putting on a show or production is large. Costs include advertising, facility rental, stage hands, performer’s fees, etc. A typical outlay is 1d4 silver pieces times the maximum possible crowd.
and
A nice side benefit to such extravagant performances is the unlikely event of victimization. The only crooks who dare mess with such events are the high-ranking master thieves or a fully planned hit by the local thieves’ guild, though these are very rare occurrences.
So... I suppose it doesn't specifically mention security, just that it's very unlikely to run into problems, and it also says that the costs include advertisement (which Haahqae's doing on his own) and stage hands (which won't really exist) -> performer's fees sort of confuses me, as it's Haahqae (the performer) who's paying for this event. Maybe the performer's fees is a little bit Haahqae might give Tulbas for helping him with the show?

Perhaps it would be acceptable to replace advertisement + stage hand fees with security guard fees (hired from the same place as Haahqae got the permit to perform).
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yes, I think the performer's fees mentioned are for other performers in the show. Since it's just him (and maybe Tulbas, who was volunteering, if I remember right), we can say that money (and the money for stagehands) goes to security, instead.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

I think the sewer squad has decided to move on, Jaded.
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Move on where...do what? I need someone to do something before I can react. Right now the characters are just saying, "Let's go" and not offering any direction.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Spyguy: In the context of:
JadedDM wrote:Move on where...do what? I need someone to do something before I can react. Right now the characters are just saying, "Let's go" and not offering any direction.
I'd posted (22/4):
Chris1234 wrote:Shima ... turns to Felran, "Felran, would you be happy to open that door to the west? I'll be ready to receive in case anything charges out."

{OOC: Intent is to explore westwards, if nothing untoward, looking north and, if nothing untoward, then proceeding north to reach and look round any corner, and continue (max 240'), until something significant shows up, e.g. more doors, nest of rats, monsters. If there's a fork, he'll listen, and if nothing, will follow the left hand wall in the absence of anything else of significance.. If any dead ends are encountered, the dwarf pasue to examine for sliding/shifting stonework or recent construction.}

If you want to stay here, I'll do another quick scout westwards and return in about 5 minutes.
so while I'm not sure, maybe Jaded is waiting for you to simply say that Felran opens the door...
I will edit that post now (22/4) to make the intent a conditional so that if Felran opens the door, then <blah>

Edit (28/4): I have now edited the main thread post of 22/4. If there's anything wrong with this, am happy to discuss. Just trying to get things on the go.

Edit (29/4): Door to the west is qaulity locked (-20%) so let's come back to that.
@ chese: Normally you need the skill, same as a thief can't usually cast spells, but a GM might allow a chance akin to a giant rat attacking a Storm Giant i.e. natural 20 always hits...
Don't remember that being written in to d100 rolls though, but you never know. But at -20% chance, I'd say you probably need a natural 01 on d100.., assuming it's allowed at all.
Anyway, that's take a while, maybe 10 mins for one skilled with locks, possibly longer if not, and we could potentially explore quite a bit of tunnel in that time. My guess would be that the woman who sent us down here might have the keys to the lock anyway and she might be testing to see if we can obey instructions... just a thought. :)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

I missed a lot during the 23 - 30 time. Got busy and stuff. Will fix that up.
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

No probs. PS you can PM me anytime.
I may come across terse on forum, sorry if so, not intentional.
(I'm also a bit compulsive; find it difficult to let go sometimes.)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Does the Baaz have specific uniform for special units? Do we know the baaz in Gregeddin house are the troops of the prefect himself and not just common soldiers? (Or are they actually common soldiers? :))
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Technically speaking, all of the baaz (all of the soldiers, in fact) are the prefect's soldiers. He's the head honcho for the whole city.

That is to say, the prefect doesn't have any special soldiers just for him. Each soldier is in a unit led by a commander, who in turn is led by the prefect. (Likewise, the prefect takes his orders from the Dragon Highlord, who in turn takes orders from the Emperor. Which is why Gregeddin's plan was doomed to fail. Tethys isn't raising taxes because he wants to, but because his superior is ordering him to.)

I don't think Tulbas would know that, though. Even if they were the prefect's personal guard, I don't think he'd know that, either.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

OK Thanks, so my in character post is still valid, otherwise he could deduce where Gregeddin is and wouldn't ask.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

I'm heading off now, be back Monday. :)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

So, if Tethys A gets removed, Tethys B will show up. Good to know.
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)