Help with a sci-fi project

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

RivenBlade
Vagabond
Vagabond

Help with a sci-fi project

Post by RivenBlade »

OK, like the subject said I got a science-fiction (maybe space opera might be more accurate discription)rpg in the works.

I had an idea for an insectoid player race where the two different genders spend most of their time in different ecosystems (except when they meet to mate) and look like two different species to outsiders (including humans).

Thing is, the way I'm working this, one of the two will likley need more than six limbs, and probably enter arachnid or multipod territory. I'm not sure if this will be too different biologically to work.
Make your first strike a killing strike
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

You might want to go with the males and femaies being of very different sizes. That would go a long way toward making them appear to be of separate species.
As for ecosystems, if the males are much smaller, they might live on grasslands, sheltering in the high grass. The larger females would be unable to hide, so they live in the shelter of a forest.
Just a few suggestions...
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Kafen
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Kafen »

The limb count should remain the same, but you could give one wings if you are looking for something distinctive between genders.

Coloring on the smaller males would be an interesting idea. The coloring would give females something to choose. Expression of mood, perhaps?

Hmm, what about making one more intelligent than the other?

The egg laying region would be important. When would the males and females divide as a group?
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Kafen
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Kafen »

Any update on this one?
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
RivenBlade
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by RivenBlade »

I've done a few concept drawings, have yet to work on game mechanics yet.

As for the PC insectoids, I had a notion pairs only mate once (but in really large numbers), once the female is pregnant her egg sac detaches and she hides it.